Spin-Off Spring 2011

If you’re looking for a bit of color—look no further—the Spring 2011 issue of Spin-Off has some great ideas for how to blend the colors you already have into new and interesting combinations—the possibilities are infinite. Speaking of infinite possibilities, take a look at the Handspun Gallery of Helix Scarves and get your needles ready. Ready to sink your hands into some fleece? Try Wensleydale—their lustrous locks are seductive.

On the Cover:

by Linda Ligon with Abby Franquemont

Art Yarn and Roses
by Judith MacKenzie

HOW-TO

Spinning Tips: Scotch tension brake bands
by Beth Smith
Oops! In the article it was mistakenly stated that the Majacraft brake-band material is Nylon when it is actually braided Rayon.

Spinning Basics: Spinning multicolored yarns from solid-colored roving

ON THE WEB

Spinner’s Connection

Calendar of Events

Your Yarn

Handspun Gallery of Helix Scarves

Call for Entries

Click here to take our Spring 2011 web survey!

Related Posts
+ Add a comment

Comments

L Tyler wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 10:20 AM

May I ask, when should I receive the Spring 2011 issue? I have been having problems with missing mail, called local PO twice, Interweave 3 times about Winter 2010 issue already. I'm ready to give up!

Liz Good wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 5:17 PM

The issue stared mailing out to subscribers last Friday (February 25) but, depending on where you live, it can take a while before it shows up in your mailbox.

L Tyler wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 8:45 AM

Liz, thank you! I did receive the Spring issue yesterday, & it's gorgeous. (As usual)

Sherylramm wrote
on Mar 10, 2011 6:31 PM

Is the spring issue on news stands yet? I just subscribed but don't think I can wait until the end of march for it to be sent...

Liz Good wrote
on Mar 10, 2011 6:41 PM

Hi Sherylramm,

It is very flattering that you can't wait for the issue! It is scheduled to be on sale March 15th (although there is some variation from newsstand to newsstand).

Hope you love it!

Liz

MargaretS@27 wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 3:52 AM

I have a similar problem to L Tyler in that my subscription seems to be arriving later and later. I am in Australia and have contacted customer service over the last few issues. I emailed again a couple of weeks ago and then recieved the Winter issue which I already had.

I have been subscribing for quite a few years and after an initial problem with late deliveries it seemed to be sorted but the past year has seen the delivery vary from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Too long,I think, in this day and age. I have had the same issue with book and dvd deliveries as well. It is frustrating when I look forward to each issue  and product so much but have to follow up on the arrival date each time.

Such good content and such good products. Keep up the good work.

wolletje1 wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 5:05 AM

Hej

I am a woman living in Sweden, Europe. I am very interrested in reading and doing about all sorts of handycrafts. a month ago I got  a spinrock but I do not know how to use it.

Do you know a good book for beginners? I don't want to subscribe to the magazine just now, but I would like to get a free example.  I would like to look if it is something for me to subscribe but i do not want to subscribe for something I don't know yet. Can you send me a free magazine?

best regards

Yvonne (Vonn-e)

Liz Good wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 4:24 PM

I forwarded your comment to our circulation team and here is their reply:

In recent months we have been tracking delivery to Australia and have found that delivery times are much longer than what we have been led to believe. Unfortunately, once the issues are delivered to the postal service we can no longer track delivery. Some of the delays in recent months were reportedly the result of the disastrous flooding that occurred in the region. The most recent subscriber delivery report (received just this morning) indicates that the delivery timeline is improving. We share your frustration and are doing everything we can to ensure timely delivery, including retaining a distributor that actually delivers the copies to a wide range of postal services internationally.

Interesting information, I hope that service speeds improves!

Liz

MargaretS@27 wrote
on Mar 23, 2011 5:28 AM

Hi Liz, thanks for following up on the delivery to Australia. When the deliveries were quick they always came via NZ which intrigued me. Those deliveries post marked NZ stopped a while ago and since then its been up to and over 8 weeks arriving.

I do appreciate the atempts to speed it up.

Margaret.

EllenH wrote
on Apr 4, 2011 5:52 AM

Hi Liz,

Like MargaretS@27, I also am a long time Australian subscriber to Spin-Off .... but unlike her I still haven't received my Spring 2011 copy.

According to my account details it was sent 15-02-2011...hmmm.

I'm not sure about the mail being quicker when it comes via NZ, personally I think coming straight from US is better  :-)  Btw the recent floods in our country would only effect certain areas of Victoria & N.S.W., and possibly all of Queensland but  I am in Victoria in an outer-eastern suburb of Melbourne in the south of the State and nowhere near the floods.

I will get withdrawal symptoms soon :-((  ...... <quick, where's my wheel>

EllenH wrote
on Apr 7, 2011 9:02 AM

Yessss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My Spin-Off has arrived!!

MargaretS@27 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:07 PM

Still waiting for the new winter issue. If mailing out began on Feb 25th its now 6 weeks. The other frustrating thing is I have contacted customer service over the lateness of the last few issues and dvds I have purchased and if they send one straight away invariably the original arrives not long after!

I will be patient for another 2 weeks and then start contacting CS.

MargaretS@27 wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:08 PM

Woops...make that waiting for the new spring issue.

CarolineA wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:14 AM

I purchased a subscription on behalf of my spinning group, and you deducted the money from my credit card before Christmas - we are still waiting for our first issue!

I know I am not the only subscriber who regrets having to deal with the Interweave subscriptions department when something goes wrong. Grabbing the money fast, then not delivering the goods leaves a very bad impression.

This is not good public relations and harms what little is left of the good name that Interweave Press used to have.

Not impressed and not  happy.

CarolineA wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 8:33 AM

Just as a follow up, Amazon mail is getting through quicker to Australia than it ever did before, as are other items from the US, in well under 2 weeks. The floods did not cover the whole of the continent, nor disrupt regular postal services except in the areas of the country that were flooded, and certainly have not affected the mail centres that handle incoming mail from overseas. My Handwoven magazine is delivered regularly in a timely fashion, so the problem appears to lie somewhere between your subscriptions department and your distributor, and not the regular mail services.

ponycat wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 2:00 AM

I'm in Australia too, and no sign of my magazine. I subscribed in january, and am so looking forward to getting my first copy.

I find it odd as other US and UK magazine subscriptions get to me within a week.

CarolineA wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 7:53 PM

My club's magazine arrived in the mail today, for which the members will be grateful. However this is not far short of the time it normally takes to hit the news agents here anyway, which is NOT GOOD SERVICE. I don't know what went wrong, but I would like to think that as subscribers, we will get the next issue reasonably soon after its issued, instead of nearly two months later.

As for me, I have cancelled my regular order at the news agents, and  if there is something really rivetting in my spinning groups copy, I will purchase the download.

However, since I am not a knitter, its extremely unlikely.

purplehippy wrote
on Apr 22, 2011 5:58 AM

I have just been informed that having processed my subscription payment on the 5th April I will recieve my first issue around the end of June - I have therefore  requsted to cancel my subscription and be refunded - I cannot emphasise how disappointed I am.  Like others who have commented here I cannot believe that the service could be so slow.

Sort it out!

Liz Good wrote
on Apr 22, 2011 1:41 PM

I forwarded your additional comments on to our circulation team and here is further insight into the process. I hope it is helpful:

In order to ensure that everything runs smoothly through the printing and mailing processes we have to produce subscriber mail lists several weeks before the magazines are actually mailed. Unfortunately, this does sometimes delay the start of new subscriptions especially on a quarterly magazine that only comes out every 3 months. We do try to mail issues sooner by including new subscribers in interim mailings so that you do not have to wait until the next issue is produced. We also understand, however,that the problem is greater for our international customers because they cannot be included in these interim mailings.

We apologize for the frustration that we know this can cause; we look at our procedures frequently and are always looking for ways to limit the time associated with delivering the first issue without adding to the cost of your subscriptions. While I know that this does not eliminate the frustration you feel, I hope that it at least explains a bit as to why. We are also currently working on options that will allow you to subscribe to Spin-Off digitally. Please stay tuned to our newsletters for an announcement when it is available.

ponycat wrote
on May 5, 2011 3:41 AM

My magazine arrived last week, and I enjoyed it.

Lynnd555 wrote
on May 6, 2011 10:19 AM

Hi

JUst recieved in the mail last Saturday my spring issue of Spinoff. Live in southern California. Is a new subsrip (ordered last Feb or March).

Wondered if there is any information on knitting socks on a simpler knitting machine then the LK150, I havea Ultimate sweater machine.

Thanks

Lynn D

(when is each issue timed to send out)

Liz Good wrote
on May 11, 2011 3:50 PM

Lynn,

I'm not sure if this sock pattern works better on simpler knitting machines, but it is similar and available online:

dianem.wordpress.com/.../the-penny-sock-pattern

Hope it is helpful,

Liz

tanueee wrote
on May 19, 2011 3:13 AM

Hello, I´m from Germany an get a Spinn Off subscription from my boyfriend. Still I didn´t get the spring magazine yet. Is there any possibility to find out if it was send to me?

Lynnd555 wrote
on May 19, 2011 8:58 AM

Liz

just checked back to see if anyone left a comment.

I looked at the link you left and it also was for a knitting machine with a

ribber. I just have a machine that knits flat and go back and forth.

Maybe I can figure out how to turn pattern into working for mine (USM)

Thanks again

Lynn D

Liz Good wrote
on May 19, 2011 5:31 PM

Sorry about the delays getting your issues. Here is the best place to go with questions about your subscriptions:

Report Missing, Late, or Damaged Issues or Temporarily Stop Your Subscription:

E-mail: SpinOff@pcspublink.com

Phone: U.S. and Canada: (800) 767-9638

Other International: (760) 291-1531

(Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST)

Mail:  Spin-Off Magazine

PO Box 469115

Escondido, CA 92046-9115

When reporting problems, please provide your name, street address, the magazine you subscribe to, and the month/year of the Issue that is late, damaged or missing.

This info and everything about subscriptions can be found at www.spinoffmagazine.com or under the "subscriptions" tab above.

Liz Good wrote
on May 19, 2011 5:32 PM

Lynn,

Sorry that pattern wasn't quite right. Let us know what you find.

Best wishes,

Liz

Lynnd555 wrote
on Jun 1, 2011 9:52 PM

Liz

Will see if this might work for me later when have time. It sounds like knitting a sock flat on a knitting machine.

www.youtube.com/watch