Antique Great Wheel

This post has 20 Replies | 11 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Wilma@26 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 12:43 PM

Hi. I have enjoyed reading the posts about the Great Wheel. I have just purchased one and would like some documentation. I am surprised at how little printed material I have found available.  I have spun some sheep wool roving and I will be spinning cotton tomorrow. Can anyone tell me where to find printed materials about the Great Wheel? It spins beautifully and looks beautiful too! Thanks, Wilma

Not Ranked
Posts 1
shanley1 wrote
on Nov 7, 2011 7:38 PM

Hi Maria --

I just bought a great wheel with no drive band and the previous owner suggested I get a hemp cord. I looked on Crafts Direct but am uncertain what thickness to buy - 20#, 48#, "twisted cord" or "twisted rope."  Do you recall which one worked for you?

Thanks,

Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sgkbruns wrote
on May 6, 2012 3:56 PM

I just found a great wheel or walking wheel in the attic space of and old house.  It looks like it has been there for 100 years - pretty rough shape.  It is missing the accelerator head and I was wondering if you knew where I could purchase one.  Once I got it cleaned up it didn't look that bad but it has no markings on it that I can find.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 11
Cris W wrote
on May 8, 2012 2:58 PM

I just looked at your pictures, and your wheel looks very much like mine. Mine didn't ever have a miner's head - the earlier great wheels didn't - and I think the bobbin came from an old flax wheel. There is no use for a bobbin on a spindle wheel. The whole mother-of-all should be turned 90 degrees. The wholes in the uprights would support the spindle - a leather loop in the back one for the butt end of the spindle, with the grooved wooden part between the two uprights, and another leather loop in the front one to support the front base of the spindle, with the little wooden whorl on the spindle outside of the loop, to keep the spindle in place. I hope this is understandable - wish I could draw on here! Cris 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
tattingms wrote
on Jan 20, 2013 6:05 PM

Hi.. I'm new to this group - still figuring out how to compost a post!!  I've just acquired a great wheel from a friend - and it has an accelerator wheel. It's mostly in good shape, restored some time ago by Alvin Rahmer (*Colbourne, Ontario ) but when I moved it iinto my house, the wheel developed a smallish crack.. Oh dear - maybe the change in temperature, or humidity..  I'll call Alvin to see if it can be repaired.  In the meantime, I'd like to oil it and am wondering what is the best type of oil to use..  Any info appreciated.  Will post some pics when I figure that out.  Cheers, Joan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 17, 2013 12:20 PM

Would it be possible to get the name of that good woodworker from you.  I have a Joslin wheel with a broken part.  The broken pieces are small enough I could send them to a competent person for repair.  It is cherry and will probably need some lathe work.  We just don't have woodworkers in my area capable of doing this, and I don't want to compromise a beautiful wheel.  Please advise how I could talk to you directly about this.  Many thanks!  Happy spinning!

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS