Problems spinning thicker singles

This post has 4 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 10
harpmary wrote
on Feb 5, 2012 7:32 PM

Wondering if anyone can offer any advice on spinning consistent thicker singles. My thicker singles have so much twist it is frustrating. I am using a Kromski Minstrel with the larger whorl. I have the uptake set fairly tight so the yarn pulls in quickly. I am treadling as slow as as I can, although it is pretty difficult to spin slowly with any consistent treadling. I keep adjusting the uptake, but no matter what I do, the yarn still over-twists terribly. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

Thanks.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 11
Cris W wrote
on Feb 6, 2012 6:09 PM

I asked a friend the same question, and she suggested using a Navajo spindle. I tried it, and it worked much better for me. In fact, I discovered I loved using the big spindle!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 74
galwaygirl2 wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 1:23 PM

I found for me.......when I need thicker yarns for my rugs I  must use my spindle. On the wheel I seem to spin thinner yarns. I Really need to work on that.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 30
BGMeyer wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 8:13 AM

I can't say for sure, but try going the OPPOSITE. Reduce the take up until it is very low. It may give you more control over the spinning, you can add AS MUCH or as LITTLE twist as you want if it isn't pushing you to draw in.

barb

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
SpinWitch wrote
on Feb 28, 2013 7:58 AM

Sometimes having lots of twist will let you spin a more consistent yarn.  Let your yarn rest a day or two to settle down a bit, then re-spin it in the opposite direction to get rid of the excess twist.  You'll have to experiment a bit to get it the way you want it, but it's easier than spinning a low-twist thick yarn (my attempts at low twist tend to come out thick-and-thin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS