Difficulty with take up while I ply

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 32
JaneanE wrote
on Mar 24, 2012 6:14 AM

I have a Kromski Mazurka wheel, and love it.  It is a pleasure to spin with.  However, when I ply, It has a tendency not to take up the yarn on the bobbin, and I over ply at times as the wheel keeps spinning.  Forget Navajo ply, I have a heck of a time getting that to take up.  Not sure if its the adjustment, my technique, or what the problem is.  The yarn is not too thick for the orifice, that's the only thing I'm certain of.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 558
on Mar 24, 2012 9:33 PM

You've run through the gamut of things: more tension, yarn not twisted on the guide, fiber on hooks and the rest I assume.

I read on Spin-list that some wheels may have a small metal burr in the orifice. If you have no problems spinning, then this probably isn't a problem.

What have you tried and maybe we can narrow down some suggestions. You can also contact Kromski. They are fantastic with solving problems.

Denise

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 32
JaneanE wrote
on Mar 24, 2012 11:30 PM

Sometimes the yarn will jump off the hooks when I'm plying as well.  At kromski, they suggested that I am letting off the yarn tension too much and that's why it jumps hooks, this makes sense, but doesn't explain the difficulty with take up. 

I have done everything I can think of.  I can ply with great take up for a while then suddenly, no take up.  I am never sure with double drive if I need more band tension for greater pick up, or less.  As the spin/take up is dependent upon the band slipping and gripping respectively.  I tried going down in ratio, to help slow things down and prevent over plying, and have more control.  I tried increasing and decreasing band tension, but perhaps I should increase more than I did.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 558
on Mar 25, 2012 2:04 PM

From what I understand, changing the whorl size will change the take-up. If things do not keep working, you can change to a Scotch tension and ply that way.

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 2
barbeall wrote
on Mar 25, 2012 3:54 PM

I usually find that the cure is to tighten the tension slightly after applying oil

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 32
JaneanE wrote
on Mar 29, 2012 6:26 AM

Thanks so much for the insight.  It's great that we have an online community to bounce off ideas and solutions.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
on Dec 13, 2012 11:22 PM

Hi, my name is Jerry. I have a Kromski Sonata and I had take up problems with it also. I had to do some detective work but I finally found the problem. It seems that when they machined the holes on each side of the flyer (after the fiber goes through the orifice on it's way to the hooks) there were small burrs which periodically stopped the take up. I used a very fine jewelers file and carefully, VERY carefully smoothed up the holes on each side of the flyer. It's not a hard job and anyone can do it. You just have to do it lightly and not mar the flyer. My Sonata now performs take-up as smooth as silk! The way I found the problem was by lightly rubbing my finger around the holes behind the orifice. Hope this helps you or others who might have this problem. My best, Jerry

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
on Dec 13, 2012 11:22 PM

Hi, my name is Jerry. I have a Kromski Sonata and I had take up problems with it also. I had to do some detective work but I finally found the problem. It seems that when they machined the holes on each side of the flyer (after the fiber goes through the orifice on it's way to the hooks) there were small burrs which periodically stopped the take up. I used a very fine jewelers file and carefully, VERY carefully smoothed up the holes on each side of the flyer. It's not a hard job and anyone can do it. You just have to do it lightly and not mar the flyer. My Sonata now performs take-up as smooth as silk! The way I found the problem was by lightly rubbing my finger around the holes behind the orifice. Hope this helps you or others who might have this problem. My best, Jerry

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 32
JaneanE wrote
on Dec 14, 2012 5:51 AM

Thanks Jerry, I'll give that a feel.  I can always use sandpaper to smooth that out a bit as well.  I have sandpaper for jewelers and I have grit that goes down to finishing cloth so I'm certain I could get it smooth.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 7
on Feb 10, 2013 11:17 PM

Hi JaneanE. I now have a Mazurka which I put my own finish on. Their m tension adjustments are a little complex and the adjustment under the flyer and the one at the rear flyer bearing really need to be "tuned" together. I find that the scotch tension works the best on this little wheel! The Mazurka has a rather small drive wheel and not much momentum so it reacts quite differently to adjustments. Once you have it set for easy and smooth singles spinning you can adjust the bobbin tension for take-up. You'll need a little more for plying. Also as the bobbin fills you will need to add a little more. It usually just requires small adjustments to keep the proper take-up. Hope this helps. My Best, Jerry 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 32
JaneanE wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 12:30 PM

Thank you Jerry.  I haven't tried the Scotch tension yet.  I will keep in mind that minor adjustments make a bigger difference.  This is my second wheel, the first was a Babe, and this one is much different, I like it a lot more, but I find the nuances of it challenging.  I know that adjustments along the way are needed for scotch tension, but was under the impression that once I have my tension set it wouldn't need adjusting along the way for double drive.  How do you like your Mazurka?  While they still manufacture them, they no longer sell them in the states due to lack of interest.  I would have preferred the Minstrel, but I really didn't want to double treadle.  I like being able to relax while I'm spinning.    

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS