Fiber's over-twisted but not getting drawn onto the bobbin...what am I doing wrong?

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4
Hrothwyn wrote
on Nov 14, 2012 12:52 PM

I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for me - I've just bought my first spinning wheel (an Ashford Kiwi 2) and tried to begin spinning. I have no problem getting the leader to start winding around the bobbin (or any other amount of ready-spun yarn) but as soon as I try and add fibre on all that happens is it becomes so vastly twisty that it curls up and isn't drawn onto my bobbin. Is this likely down to my inexperience with drafting etc? I can spin fairly decent yarns with my drop-spindle though.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
on Nov 15, 2012 12:36 AM

could be your tension.   have you joined ravelry?  There are some good spinning groups on there who helped me at the beginning and i have been spinning sice march.  my ravekry name is ecoangel it is an amazing site.  Yvonne x

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 15, 2012 12:06 PM

Lighten your tension.  You may have to barely have it on.  You also need to SLOW down your tredlling.   Too much tension is the reason it is not drawing onto the bobbin.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cyellow2 wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 4:32 PM

I am having the same exact problem -  I have no problem getting the leader to start winding around the bobbin (or any other amount of ready-spun yarn) but the fiber just curls up on the hook when my own fiber gets to the bobbin.  I have tried to treadle slowly, there are no snags, it is not caught on the hooks, and I have tried to very gradually increase the tension just a bit (1/8 turn - 1/4 of a turn), but nothing has helped.  I thought it may be a drafting problem, so I have practiced that some more of the drop spindle.  Any ideas??

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4
Hrothwyn wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 3:30 AM

In the end I went and had one spinning lesson. I never did work out what I was doing wrong, really, but slow and steady treading does seem to be very important. I think the single most useful piece of advice I was given was that for every time you treadle you need to draft (unless you're plying of course). I'm sure something will happen and you'll get it...then away you'll go! :) I'm currently experimenting with spinning from batts and rolags as well as top.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 37
Jlathropcpa wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 11:39 PM

Also make sure that the leader isn't slipping around on the bobbin's shaft. Put a piece of tape on it to be sure. In addition to all of the suggestions above, sometimes yarn that is way overtwisted won't feed on. Stop treadling but continue to draft until the single seems to have the proper amount of twist.  Make sure there is no twist in your fiber and that it will draft easily. You might also want to change to a larger whorl so that less twist is made per treadle. Most beginners treadle much too fast. Try it again treadling slower and try to draft out with each push of the treadle. 

If you haven't had any lessons, watch this video on youtube where the person shows how to adjust the tension properly so the takeup is enough but not too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_clqBwf8gHs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS