after spinning

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 74
galwaygirl2 wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 5:21 PM

I have a question for anyone who can relate...............  I love spinning so much and have spun fiber for years now. I try spinning different fibers different ways. I have noticed alot of up and coming spinners are spinning all kinds of funky art yarns that i've tried....it's fun, young and not quite my thing but I like all spun fiber.  Sooooo here is my problem-  I don't know what to do with all this spun fiber!!!!!!!!!!!  I have tried weaving and I like it but not enough to keep at it.....have tried to crochet and will keep trying because I hope I'll get better.....tried rug hooking and thought that was it but takes too much time and knitting I dont think I'll ever get.  So whats a spinner to do???  I can't just keep spinning with no end result.  I study herbs and love it as much as spinnin......these two mediums are like breathing to me and I just don't know how to connect the two. I tried to hook small rugs w/ herb themes and can't get it done because I'm not into it enough. Are there any other spinners out there with this problem???  If so....I'd love to hear from you because I feel like I'm on some island all by myself.  Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 1
patlam wrote
on Dec 21, 2012 9:09 PM

I love spinning the best too! I do weave, knit and sew. You could maybe sell your yarns. Macramé? I know I have bags and boxes of yarn, not always enough to figure out what to make with it. Or if you know a weaver/knitter, you could collaborate on some projects. Just keep spinning. Donate the yarn to some worthy charity.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 74
galwaygirl2 wrote
on Dec 23, 2012 6:13 PM

thank you.....I'll keep spinning

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 30
BGMeyer wrote
on Dec 24, 2012 10:23 AM

I had an epiphany this morning: I think it is time we all learned to weave. Spinning is fun and spun wool accumulated FAST. The rule of thumb is 3-7 days spinning to feed the loom for one day. (3-7 because it depends on who said it, I am not sure exactly how big my thumb will be....but I guess I will find out.)

Weaving can be relaxing and you can do it AFTER you accumulate a lot of spun yarn. I have a feeling that done properly, it can be forgiving. And a handwoven blanket will take a lot of the lumps out of beginner yarn. 

That is my thought. Keep spinning!

barb

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4
zerinajam wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 3:17 PM

I have started spinning art yarn. I hang it on the wardrobe door.  The place to sell it is Etsy, or some yarn stores will take it on conignment. I have only been able to part with a few skeins to a good friend who I know will treasure it. But most of it means too much to me. It's mine!

The good news is that knitters tend to be stashers, and would love to buy your beautiful handspun!

Have you tried making little herb sachets to repel moths from wool stashes?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 74
galwaygirl2 wrote
on Dec 27, 2012 7:00 PM

thank you everyone........... your ideas are great & I appreciate it very much.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9
margyparker wrote
on Feb 24, 2013 6:57 AM

Why not make a small profit on you spinning and sell your yarn on etsy? :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 74
galwaygirl2 wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 2:28 PM

I finally found what to do.................. I ordered a tapestry loom from Schacht and I'm doing good!! So excited. I'm hooking again also............I lost confidence and couldnt get past it but it's going well and hopefully next year I'll have a small little business....maybe.  Thank you for all your input.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS