Looking for a plying book

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Nifara wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 4:53 PM

Hi Everyone

Iam a newbie a spinning and have just started to attempt to learn to ply alpaca.

I was wondering if any one of you experienced spinners out there could give me the title and author of a good book for learning to ply. I have tried a couple of times and need to know if I am on the right track.

Regards Nifara

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 9
on Mar 3, 2013 11:51 PM

This is a pretty old post.  But for anyone looking around, I actually would recommend a video instead.  It's called the Gentle Art of Plying by Judith MacKenzie.  It can be downloaded here.  Or you can order the DVD.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 452
Liz Good wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 3:55 PM

Hi Nifara,

Have you seen our free eBook on plying? It is available on Spinning Daily at http://www.spinningdaily.com/plying/ and is a compilation of past Spin-Off articles on the subject.

Best of luck!

Liz

Liz Good

Not Ranked
Posts 2
kspastel wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 10:51 AM

I would love to be able to get the video, but these economic times prevent me.  I just have one question - although I've been spinning with both drop spindle and wheel for over ten years, I never was advised, until now, that the singles from the wheel spindles should be taken off and placed on another spindles before plying.  It kind of makes sense to me, since you must do that on drop spindles, but I have been plying some pretty nice yarn (I think) all these years without doing this extra (and tedious) step.  Is it really necessary?  I saw this advice while looking for advice on spinning alpaca and silk blend.  Now, I want to know the correct way to ply!  Thank you

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 452
Liz Good wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 11:26 AM

kspastel,

That is an interesting question. I've never heard of transferring wheel-spun singles to another bobbin before plying. While I could see that in some cases it might help even out the twist, I can't see any reason one would absolutely need to take that step. I have heard however, it is a good idea to let the singles rest on the bobbin so the twist relaxes and is more equal to that in the yarn you spun earlier.

Best of luck,

Liz

Liz Good

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS