Question about plying

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
MarianSylvia wrote
on Jan 13, 2013 4:37 PM

I made a 2 ply wool yarn. It was 11 wpi off the middy noddy. After I washed it to set the twist, it dried at only 8wpi. I wondered if the increase in the diameter of the yarn was due to underspinning as I plied, and if that is the case, could I at this point, spin the yarn another time to tighten it. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new to this. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 30
BGMeyer wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 8:13 AM

Once the twist is set, I don't think re-spinning it will help. As for the shrinkage, it may be due to the kind of wool. Merino or other very fine crimp wool will return to its very crimped shape after washing--no matter how it was processed.

I would try the same wool and spin maybe tighter, but plying should not be too tight. If it twists up when it plies, it is too tight, so try spinning it tighter instead. But it may STILL do the same--depending on the wool.

barb

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MarianSylvia wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 8:26 AM

Thanks, Barb. But the problem is not that it SHRINKS, but that it EXPANDS. The yarn is way THICKER after washing and drying. Any ideas?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78
L Tyler wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 11:50 AM

Shrinks in length, expands in width. My yarn does also, because I do not weight the skeins as they dry. It makes a nice soft lofty yarn that shouldn't shrink in length after it is knitted. The fibers have relaxed into their crimpy state, making a shorter, thicker yarn.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 30
BGMeyer wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 12:08 PM

YUP! that is what merinos and such short staple yarns do. That it goes so far, to me, indicates a very short staple wool. Weighting it and drying under tension will make it stay....until the garment is washed and it STILL goes back to what it was.  Try something with a longer staple length, and more relaxed crimp and see the result. As I always say, SWATCH, SWATCH, SWATCH!  If you WANT a thinner and tighter yarn, you will need to use a different wool.

barb

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MarianSylvia wrote
on Jan 14, 2013 2:30 PM

Thank you both, that makes perfect sense.  I have weighted yarn while drying when it seemed to be over spun, but this didn't, so I figured it wouldn't need it.  No problem -- I'll jus use it for s different project!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS