hello from Portugal

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 25, 2013 1:00 AM

Hi. I've just signed up and am curious to see what happens here! I'm just getting interested in dyeing with plants. anyone grown mdder from seed? I've just ordered some seeds so we shall see.

I've been a spinner since I was 15. I find it a very satisfying hobby. I usually knit and crochet the results, but am going to do some weaving this year, I am also interested in trying different fibres, having only spun wool so far.

I also make knitting needles out of olive branches. They are beautiful to knit with, being light and smooth and warm to the touch.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Brynhildur wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 7:12 AM

Hi, I am from Iceland and I sowed some dye plants last spring, one of them is madder.  All of the seeds germinated readily and were easy to grow.  The madder grew very well and I am anxious to see if it survives the winter.  But you shouldn't have that problem.  You should be able to harvest it after 3 years.  I also grew woad, weld, dyers chamomile and japanese indigo.  I am just learning to spin, so I really look forward to dyeing my own spun wool.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 26, 2013 2:12 PM

Hi, thank you for that information. How exciting to grow and use your own dye plants!

Look out, spinning is addictive! Well, I find it so.

I am interested in Japanese indigo. Is it different from the other indigo?

I have an icelandic fleece which I am spinning. Beautiful silky wool it makes :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lilybit232 wrote
on Feb 5, 2014 7:16 PM

Hi, I am from Colorado, USA and saw your comment about growing dye plants.  I would love to try growing Indigo for dyeing some handspun cotton yarn.  Wonder if you could let me know where you purchased seeds for the Japanese Indigo you speak of?  I've looked online, but am only starting to investigate.  None of my usual seed sources have it.  

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS