For a new spinner - regular or jumbo flyer?

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
SpinnyBunny wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 6:05 PM

I happened upon the great fortune to get a single-drive Ashford Traditional wheel at a wonderful price - without a scratch or a dent or even a bit of fading around the maker's mark, you'd swear it was brand new!   As it turns out, a bit of research told me otherwise - it was made in the late 70s/early 80s.  That being said, it needs a little bit of upgrading!

Since the flyer and bobbins are a bit ancient and not spinning so freely, I think that's the first thing I'd like to replace.  I know that I'd love to get into plying and maybe fiddling with some moderately funky yarns, so I'd like to get a jumbo flyer eventually.

As a beginner who likely isn't going to be spinning flawless lace-weight any time soon, would it behoove me to go ahead and get the jumbo and perhaps get the standard later if I decide to make finer yarns, or should I definitely definitely start out with the standard?  I wasn't sure if there was something about a jumbo flyer that was difficult or prohibitive to learning the ropes.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
twohorse wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 8:38 PM

I just got the Sliding Hook Jumbo Flyer from Paradise Fibers.  I'm sorry I waited so long.  I thought I would have to replace the maiden on my 70s Traddy to get a jumbo bobbin but the Sliding Hook Flyer needed only to have the bearing on one maiden replaced and it is only a screw.  Not to mention, the standard bobbins fit on the Jumbo Flyer so I can still spin onto the standard bobbins and ply onto the jumbo.  The SHF also comes with a bearing insert that allows the standard bobbin to be used as well.  The increased number of whorls is a bit distracting but my drive band fits on the largest one.  I haven't tried any of the other whorls yet. 
A few things I encountered  were that the sliding hook took some getting used to and I took off the one on the other arm.  It also seem a bit more noisy than my standard flyer.  I'm trying to get used to the clacking where my standard flyer seemed a lot quieter.  Overall, I would highly recommend upgrading to the Jumbo Sliding Hook Flyer for your single drive Traditional.
Overall, I am quite pleased that Ashford has upgrades to their older models.  What more can you ask for?  Not every company wants to keep their older models in working order.
Cara

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS