Best Hand Carders For Alpaca Fiber?

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
circlebdeb wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 11:16 AM

Hi all, I am new to Spin-Off and new to spinning.  I raise alpacas and I would like to begin making some of my own batts.  I would  like any advise/direction you can give me on what the best hand carders are for alpaca fiber.  For example, tpi carding cloth/size, etc.  Not sure if it matters, but I raise suri alpacas.  Any additional information is welcome! Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
circlebdeb wrote
on Jul 28, 2010 11:03 AM

Denise,

Thanks for the information!  I'll check out YouTube and do some searches there for how best to card suri fiber.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 25
on Aug 12, 2010 11:22 PM

Hi, when you find out, bring the info back here, OK?

My friend and mentor just sent me some suri, and advised me to use my mini combs to process it. I've got some very nice Valkyrie mini combs that I seem to use daily. They aren't as mini as some others, but they don't cause the weariness that full sized combs might cause. I tend to follow her suggestions and, as you can see, quote them as well.

Youtube is a wonderful resource for information, some accurate, other just amusing.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
circlebdeb wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 1:39 PM

Old Town Treadles, once I purchase some hand carders and try them out, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks!

Debbie (circlebdeb)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS