Brother Drum Carder

This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 1, 2011 8:05 AM

Hi,

Has anyone used a Brother Drum Carder?  I have approximately 20 pounds of raw alpaca fleece to process and while I don't mind hand carding, the process is incredibly slow.  I came across these guys Brother Drumcarder online and was wondering about the quality of their product.

Thanks,

Kristen

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sharon.ppdg wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 3:33 PM

Hi, the Brother drum carder was such a good price I ordered one a few weeks ago. I am new to the whole handspinning craft so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems to work just fine for me. Takes a little practice and it helps to use a stiff brush against the drum (as some other brands show) to help the carding process. I like mine, however it took almost nine days in shipping so be patient if you order one. Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 6, 2011 6:59 AM

Thank so much!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
karenb92 wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 11:59 PM

I love my Brother Drum Carder. These guys are really good and make an excellent product that is reasonable priced. You can talk or e-mail them anytime and they get right back to you.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
aletadd wrote
on Aug 27, 2012 3:02 PM

Hi,

I just purchased a Brother Drum Carder and am in the process of carding up some Suri Alpaca.  After picking and fluffing up the fleece, I still need to add the fleece by hand on the drum (just like you would on hand cards).  The fibers are so fine and full of static that they tend to tangle around the licker in.  Also by adding by hand, the drum fills up more evenly.  I use a dog comb to help smooth out the fleece as it is added to the drum.  This help keep it from tangling around the licker as the drum is turned.  I think this is much faster than hand carding and you can split the batts to run through a diz and make some nice long slivers that way.  I still use the hand cards on some of the coarser Alpaca to make smaller rollages for spinning.  I think I might try to add a brush in the future to the Drum Carder if I can find one to fit.  The cost of the Brother was lower than the others that's why I bought it.  It probably isn't the best carder but it works fine for me right now.  I would like to hear from you should you purchase one.

Best of Luck,

Aleta

Not Ranked
Posts 1
maidensblush wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 8:27 AM

Hello, now that you have had the Brother druum carder for a while , do you have any other comments advice etc.? I am amazed that for a product that is so expensive that there hasn't been a consumer reports style review done on all of the drum carders. Can you tell me what card cloth you chose?  I'm planning to card fine wools, kid mohair and use it also for blending.  If you were to buy another would you get Brother of a different brand?

Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Oct 31, 2012 8:36 AM

I haven't used it very much, and I have no experience with any other carders, so I don't really know how it compares.  I have the fine drum and I used it to card enough alpaca for my husband's sweater (aprox. 3lbs).  I was happy with the results and have no complaints.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
karenb92 wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 10:28 AM

I am in the same situation as you. I have only used my Brother and it did the job so I was very happy. They have 2 drums I got the standard one the other drum is for very fine fleeces like Merino. I still prefer combing my fleece first then using the left overs of my combing on my drum carder.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sammy. wrote
on Jun 29, 2013 4:38 PM

Hi. Kristen. I have recently purchased one of their large motorized carders and couldn't be happier ! I've made many beautiful HUGE batts!! It's really a great machine, very well put together. Quite,smooth and powerful.  I called the company before ordering it, I always like to know who I'm buying from, especially when I'm buying online. After talking with Grace, I went ahead and bought the Big Brother motorized and am very impressed with it.  It has two motors so you can set any ratio you like. 

I'd  HIGHLY recommend these guys to anyone because they have a very inexpensive carder, their standard model but they also have upper class models.The prices on ALL their carders is a lot less than any other brands I've seen after comparing.   I also found out after talking to Grace that all of their products are handmade. 

Heres a link to their website:  http://brotherdrumcarder.com/index.php 

P.s. I'm not trying to make up anyone's mind but just had to share my experience. 😊

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS