Help Joining Yarn

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
anniedee wrote
on May 31, 2011 7:00 PM

I just bought a drop spindle at a local fiber festival over this past weekend. Had multiple sweet ladies help me get it down and I started spinning yesterday. I did two tests with just a strip and feel like I got the predrafting down to where my yarn is the same weight (or close enough mostly for me :), but how in the world do I spin 100 yards?

I mean, I did as much as I could joining at the ends, but it got to be too much for my spindle. How do I get the yarn off the spindle but still be able to spin? or do I just have to get me a larger spindle? I can’t seem to find any youtube videos or instructions on that process. I’d like it to be one continuous piece of yarn…

thanks so much for your help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 558
on Jun 1, 2011 8:50 AM

Abby Franquemont demonstrates here. Right around 3:27 or so, she describes what to do for adding more fiber.

To summarize, You have fuzzy on one end, and fuzzy on the other end. Overlap them and attenuate or draw them out as you would for drafting. Let the twist run up them. You may have to mash them a bit to hold. They may not hold. That is not the end of the world. Just untwist and fray out both ends. Overlap a bit more and try again. Say some magic words that we all say and give it a bit more twist.

When your spindle is full, here is how to get it off and plied. Use an Andean ply bracelet. First, let it sit a day to set the twist so you won't have a curly mess. I take mine directly off the spindle and wrap mine either on my wrist or around a book. If unsure how to do this, practice on some junk yarn first.

Andean ply bracelet simplified

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Wanitta wrote
on Jul 4, 2011 12:03 AM

I'm stuck on the same question. I saw the answer here and didn.t feel like it answered my question. I know how to add fiber as I'm spinning but what if I want a skein that is longer than what I can hold on the spindle then what? Did you ever get an answer on that?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 558
on Jul 4, 2011 9:00 AM

If you want to join two shorter skeins for a knitting job, the answer is easy, if not a bit slobbery.

You need a Russian Spit Join. Watch this video to learn how:

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 2
anniedee wrote
on Jul 4, 2011 11:16 AM

Wanitta ~

I posted in many forums and this was the only answer I got that I believe helped me.  Though, I think I'm going to try the Russian Spit Join technique too!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?s=e6246d068d76c511b0e069379cb99eb3&p=1323215#post1323215

Hope it helps!

~Annie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78
L Tyler wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 6:47 AM

Another way to get a larger skein of singles yarn than your spindle will hold is to 1) wind the spun yarn from the first spindle-ful into a ball. 2) Spin another spindle-ful, leaving a bit of uspun fuzz at the very end 3) splice the fuzz to the end of the spun yarn from the ball (it's a bit strange, but it's just joining-on in the opposite direction; instead of joining fuzz from your fiber supply onto the yarn on the spindle, you join fuzz from the spindle onto yarn in your hand. The drafting, joining & twisting/spinning works pretty much the same)  4) wind the (now joined) yarn from the spindle onto the ball with the rest 6) repeat as many times as necessary to get the size skein you want.

This only works for singles skeins, unfortunately, but you can make a very long skein indeed.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Wanitta wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 7:09 PM

I had someone else tell me the same and I did it and it is the way to go. I know how to do all sorts of joins for my knitting but this is not really what I wanted to know for spinning.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 558
on Jul 7, 2011 3:05 PM

With a bit more information about the specifics or circumstances and we may be able to answer the question better.

Are you asking about adding more fiber when spinning? After spinning? When do you want to use this? There are many tools that can be borrowed from other disciplines in order to achieve goals.

If adding more wool while spinning, hold the fuzzy, unspun fiber at about 90 deg to the spun yarn and let the fibers catch. After they do, pull/draft them down and continue spinning. You could also overlap about 2" or so and let the fibers catch and draft out a bit.

One of the interesting things about drop spindles is you will have shorter skeins that require joins (spit, Russian, etc) when you go to use them. If you have singles, you may be able to overlap and draft out to join skeins. You may be better off using a Russian join. The ends will disappear in your work. If weaving with singles, use spray starch and don't use the heddle - it will abraid the yarn, use the pick up stick to lay in the weft.

Denise

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS