Mason Spinning Wheel

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
victorygirl wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 12:43 PM

This is a Mason Spinning Wheel that I want to know more about.  I read that there are two kinds in one of your threads, but was unable to complete the process to ask a question.   Would this be a good wheel for Angora?  I am thinking rabbits for our grandaughter and her mom.   I have it listed on Ebay before it dawned on me this would be a wonderful thing to do.   I would really love more information.  I was inspired by this wheel and its easy handling ... to think about spinning.   Great inspiration.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jan 29, 2012 7:39 PM

Did you ever get any information about your Mason wheel?  I have one that I purchased in 1988 about the time Mr. Mason died.  His daughter finished up the special order and once I got it, I quit spinning for art school.  I have just pickied up spinning again and absolutely love this wheel.  I have the original information from when they sent it to me back in 1988.  I will be glad to send you a copy if you would send me your address. 

Also, I just googled "Mason Wheel"  and discovered another picture of one of these spinning wheels on a website - http://www.mresource.com/Fiber/Wheels.html.  It appears that the daughter of Mr. Mason is still into spinning.  I plan on contacting her for a new drive band.

I just recently took a spinning class since I am rusty and my plans are to spin dog hair.  My instructor says that this wheel is very good for that project so I would imagine it would be good for Angora.  If I hear back from Phyllis or if anyone knows how to contact her, I will let you know.  

Karen Kimbrough/Austin, Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 194
Gwen Powell wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 8:28 PM

Hi, sorry I did not see this thread sooner.  I have the mresource site.  Mr. Mason passed away in the late 1980's.  His daughter Phyllis Mason is living in a retirement home in Oregon and has not access to materials.  When she moved to the home, all of their equipement and plans went to her nephew in the midwest to maybe someday be worked again..

They used a few types of drive bands.  For a heavy uptake they used poly bands.  You can get lengths for places like the Woolery and melt the ends together when you get the band.  For a softer uptake they used a 1/8 inch soft cotton band.  They also used a dental band of some sort that is not longer made.  You can use just about anything material commonly used for drivebands and you will get different results.  So experiment to find out what works best for you.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jan 15, 2013 10:38 AM

Gwen,  Well, my two elderly dogs got ill and my pursuit for info about the Mason wheel got pushed to the side temporarily.  Hope this message gets to you.  I would like to get some more spindles for this wheel.  I did see the post that they were specifically made for each wheel.  Did that lady purchase the ones that you found or do you still have them?  It might be best if I just take my spindles to a good woodworker and have them make me some.  If I need to send a message to you about this off post, please let me know.  Karen K.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 194
Gwen Powell wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 12:18 PM

Your best bet is to have a good woddworker duplicate what you have.  The wheels have not been made since the 1980's.  I am hanging on to what I have and I have one friend who has a Mason chair wheel as well.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS