Can you help Amy decide?

This post has 154 Replies | 70 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 452
Liz Good wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 6:22 PM

In the March 21 edition of Spinning Daily, Amy asked your advice about what to do next on her current project, vote and share your advice here.

What should Amy do with her growing sweater?

• Rip it out and start knitting again. (74.4%)
  • Make it into something else—curtains? (4.1%)
  • Finish it and give it to someone worthy whom it fits. (21.5%)
  • Total Votes: 242
  • Voting Ended: 4/20/2012

Liz Good

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JuliaM@4 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:10 AM

I would rip it out and use the yarn to reknit it, or make something else.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
shiphrah wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:11 AM

Maybe try to felt/full it. But I think ripping is the best choice, drat it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 41
chloekaufman wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:11 AM

I would rip it out and reknit the project.  You have done such a beautiful job with the hand-spun yarn, that it would truely be a shame to not be able to benefit from all your hard work.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
marjloomis wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:18 AM

Close your eyes and rip it out. You will never enjoy this potentially gorgeous piece until you have remade it. Been there/Done that!  You will be happier in the end!     M

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bubbles4423 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:18 AM

Here is what I did when I made a tank a tank top for my daughter who is big busted and has a narrow waist. The tank fit very nice on top but the problem raised when it was suppose to be form fitting in the torso and waist area. My solution was I sewed it on the machine and took it in. Perfect fit! not noticeable at all my daughter was happy I was happy. That is what I did to solve my too big problem. If this option doesn't appeal to you or you feel it would compromise the look and drape of the sweater. I would rip it out and start over something I have done many a time! LOL Happy Knitting!  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lisa Nowels wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:20 AM

Rip it out and start over. The yarn sounds so beautiful.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Braizyn wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:20 AM

I learned how to work with indigo just this year, and dipped a sweater's worth of beautiful, lofty, wool.  The teacher, KristineV of  "A verb for keeping Warm" (great shop, great teacher), said that all indigo will "crock" (come off in your hands).   No matter what you do.  At one point she suggested overdying with tea.  I tried that with a small sample., and that  helped ... a little.

While it may be painful to rip out and start again, you'll be a lot happier with the finished project, and probably wear it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KatyB wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:21 AM

You spent so much time and effort on the yarn, I would say, rip it and reknit!

I couldnt give away yarn I had worked that hard on. You are probably the only person who will appreciate the effort.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Valoria wrote

It's such a beautiful colour and you've worked so long to make it, I think it's worthwhile ripping it out to knit the sweater again.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
IngaT@2 wrote

I would be afraid of frogging it and ruining the handpun singles that have already been knitted and blocked, simmered, etc. I say, finish it and send it to me. I love big fluffy sweaters! 

Inga

Not Ranked
Posts 1
nancykwiltz wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:22 AM

You have already put so much time into it and obviously LOVE the yarn. If I were in your shoes, I would re-knit it.  Sometimes when re-knitting a pattern, you find/discover a way to do it better the second time and are much happier with the end product and not just in the fit of it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Hitwist wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:23 AM

I would suggest that you rip it apart, skein it, wash and dry it and set it aside for a while until the bitter taste of this experience fades away.  Then you'll be able to look at your gorgeous yarn with a fresh outlook and make it into something you'll really enjoy!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Evelyn@29 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:23 AM

Oh how I hate to rip, but in this case, coming from a brand new spinner, I would have to say rip it out and

start over. You have worked hard and you deserve this sweater. Look at it this way for a 5'2" 130# person

the sweater is on the smaller side so it shouldnt take too long to knit back up now that you have worked

the pattern once through. As my grandmother use to say, if your going to do it do it right..... .It sticks with me

every time I find a mistake I have to tink back :).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 21, 2012 11:29 AM

I would vote for ripping it out, and you may want to stabilize the ever-growing singles with a very thin plied yarn (like a thread) so the softly spun yarn is supported with another yarn and thus less likely to stretch.  Be prepared for a bit of a textural change as well since plying with a fine thread will cause your yarn to have a slight undulation. It may or may not be noticeable in the knitted piece.  I'm glad  your indigo isn't crocking any longer!

Page 1 of 11 (155 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last » | RSS