Not A Paulist!

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5
DonnaN@16 wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 7:33 AM

My husband and I were shocked and angry that you folks did a story on that bum Dave Pauls.  I saved and scrimped and my husband contributed money so that Dave Pauls could build me a Canadian Wheel.  The one at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Fest worked fine...$450 is a lot in our house and money comes dear, even though the economy was stable at the time.  The wheel ( he did not want us going up there!  I might have gotten the "lure" the one that worked) was delivered late, and it was a disaster the moment he left, and he blamed me for it.  He said I was a beginner spinner, that was the problem...I had, at that point been teaching spinning for thirty years!  My husband is a wood worker among other things...we had to sand the wheel, and he made the flyer out of Ashford parts, and everything about the thing was off...it spit drive bands like a kid spitting watermelon seeds, the flyer fell apart, he said the 3 in 1 oil was too strong and actually cut the shaft; one excuse after another...six months later we brought it back, he supposedly fixed it, he fixed it all right!  He told me that the "Canadians only filled their bobbins half way".  My husband is 3/4 Canadian,  and his relations had thirteen and sixteen kids...lots of spinning in those houses, and a half filled bobbin; just doesn't cut it!   It has been up for sale for years, and no one wants this thing...it takes up space in my cellar.  This man should not be out there!  He is what is called a Ninety Day Wonder.  How could you take his word for anything?  I now have a Canadian Wheel, old and rickety and the bobbins are all chipped, (my husband made them and they  work like a charm) but other than my Ashfords, is my best friend!  Dave said the old wheels were great and he could do them one better.  Well, my old wheel works better and his are just kindling, his hitchhiker, ditto...friends checked them out...you get tired after a half hour.   What is the difference between a  good wheel and a bad wheel...the bad one is pricy firewood.  Shame on you Spin Off, this man is shoddy goods!  I was shocked about the Touch of Twist endorsement which I suspect is questionable.  Because someone is out there, does not make them the real deal...question, question, and question again...and look under the kilt before you get anything from this man!     

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Red_a wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 10:41 AM

Donna et al -

I am so sorry to hear this! I was thinking of looking at/ purchasing a Hitchhiker at Rhinebeck. I have also been saving for aalmost 2 years and I'm doing lots of research to get the most bang for my buck! I have 3 quarts of pocket change so far and I'm working hard/ emptying my change purse once a week, etc in a final dash.

The article in Spin-off was a significant influence on my thinking there and I couldn't wait to try the hitch--hiker.  I can't believe that Mr. Pauls didn't just replace the wheel and be done with it. Thats what we would have done when we had a business. Customer relations are everything when you are competing in a niche market like this. Its not like buying a stereo from a chain, where it would be refunded or exchanged w/o question. Of course, your wheel is custom made, but then so were our creations.

Surely Dave Pauls is aware of the influence of the "drums" in all crafter communities. Its too bad. I have space issues and family complaints from  husbands and sons who hate the presence of fiber and wheel in the living room and there's nowhere else to do it. I also liked the idea of locally accessible/ moderately priced hardware for easy DIY maintenance down the road, though rightfully one should be able to expect years of relatively trouble-free service out of a machine that is fairly simple mechanically.

One would think that his perfectionism referred to in the article and a pride in craftsmanship would have motivated him to do anything necessary to make it right. 

If the matter hadn't been resolved quickly, we could have called Dodge headquarters, the Better business bureau, our insurer and finally  NY state Attorney General's office, who could have banned the dealer from doing business within the state. However, none of that was necessary. If your situation is resolved, please let us know the details. Its always reassuring to learn of a happy ending! Also it might be good to know how far you had to go to get him to do the right thing. There are such things as lemons in any mechanical product, whether it be mass produced or custom-made, and (especially when an item is hand-crafted), correcting one issue may provoke or  exacerbate another.

Whether the final outcome came through your posted complaints on the other internet fiber arts and spinning groups, (blogs that mention the product, & etc.), please update all whether he satisfies you or not.

About 10 years ago I successfually resolved an issue of damage due to negligence, with a magnetic sign. It said "This vehicle is no longer serviced at_ ______ Dodge in _(city, NY)_. Please ask me why!" I  put it on the driver's door whenever I went to town. The dealer heard about it on day 1, and he arranged for the repair after he had gotten a few inquiring calls. Its interesting to note that the only contact I had about it was from the owner himself, and it seems he had been unaware of his son's arrogant management of our complaint, falsely claiming that the vehicle needed a bumper and tailgate when we brought it in. 

One last suggestion: Consumer advocacy!

The AARP has a consumer service you can learn about here http://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-04-2010/on_your_side_form.html 

They have a solid track record with finding equitable resolutions to frustrating situations such as you describe, and they hear both sides, allow you to rebut incorrect assertions,provide evidence in support of your claim, etc. 

Good luck!

DonnaN@16:

My husband and I were shocked and angry that you folks did a story on that bum Dave Pauls.  I saved and scrimped and my husband contributed money so that Dave Pauls could build me a Canadian Wheel.  The one at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Fest worked fine...$450 is a lot in our house and money comes dear, even though the economy was stable at the time.  The wheel ( he did not want us going up there!  I might have gotten the "lure" the one that worked) was delivered late, and it was a disaster the moment he left, and he blamed me for it.  He said I was a beginner spinner, that was the problem...I had, at that point been teaching spinning for thirty years!  My husband is a wood worker among other things...we had to sand the wheel, and he made the flyer out of Ashford parts, and everything about the thing was off...it spit drive bands like a kid spitting watermelon seeds, the flyer fell apart, he said the 3 in 1 oil was too strong and actually cut the shaft; one excuse after another...six months later we brought it back, he supposedly fixed it, he fixed it all right!  He told me that the "Canadians only filled their bobbins half way".  My husband is 3/4 Canadian,  and his relations had thirteen and sixteen kids...lots of spinning in those houses, and a half filled bobbin; just doesn't cut it!   It has been up for sale for years, and no one wants this thing...it takes up space in my cellar.  This man should not be out there!  He is what is called a Ninety Day Wonder.  How could you take his word for anything?  I now have a Canadian Wheel, old and rickety and the bobbins are all chipped, (my husband made them and they  work like a charm) but other than my Ashfords, is my best friend!  Dave said the old wheels were great and he could do them one better.  Well, my old wheel works better and his are just kindling, his hitchhiker, ditto...friends checked them out...you get tired after a half hour.   What is the difference between a  good wheel and a bad wheel...the bad one is pricy firewood.  Shame on you Spin Off, this man is shoddy goods!  I was shocked about the Touch of Twist endorsement which I suspect is questionable.  Because someone is out there, does not make them the real deal...question, question, and question again...and look under the kilt before you get anything from this man!     

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 2, 2012 8:07 PM

I was so sorry to read your experience. Mine was not nearly as sad but nevertheless I concur with the shoddy product comment. I purchased a Roadbug from the The Woolery (30 day guarantee)  last month. When I opened the package my husband's comment was "woodshop 101"  It really did look like something you would purchase from a hobby shop. Assembly was easy but the noise it made was awful. I followed the directions exactly but the flyer came off every time I tried to spin even the lightest roving.  I can best explain it by saying it felt like something a kid had tried to make his for his Mom in school, but it wasn't a gift from my son, it was something I had saved quite a while for. Luckily the Woolery was great and took it back without a fuss. All I was out was mailing cost. I traded up to a Majacraft Pioneer which is their  most inexpensive model. I was thrilled with the lovely finished wood and also it purred like a kitten instead of a mini train  set. What a difference in quality. I could never recommend Merlin Tree products.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS