Burning calories treadling spinning wheel

This post has 3 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 10
harpmary wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 7:18 AM

Hi - I know this is probably the craziest question to be posted on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had calculated how many calories were burnt hourly treadling a spinning wheel. I have a double treadle Kromski and have noticed that if I keep at it for a couple of hours, I definitely break out into a light sweat. I am sure the muscles in my legs will look better in a few months at least! Kindly - Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 404
on Jul 13, 2009 11:02 AM

Hi Mary,

I think that's a great question--I haven't heard of anyone doing specific research on it--but I know that you're also using your abdominal muscles while treadling because I couldn't spin recently when those muscles were out of commission briefly--and it surprised me!

Best wishes,

Amy

Amy Clarke Moore

Editor of Spin-Off magazine

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Looliemom wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 8:22 PM

I did hear on the news that you burn 150 calories an hour while knitting so I'm assuming that treadling on a wheel you'll burn more. 
I'd love to hear if anyone does the research on the topic... 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 24, 2012 10:15 AM

May I please please get directions on how this was done? I have a stationary attachment that I use in wintertime for my regular bike, and I want to make it into a spinning wheel so I can spin while I ride. I can't find anything like this anywhere on the Net. Im moderately handy, and own/can use a drill, a Dremel and various hand tools - but past that I'm pretty useless, and I don't have anyone handy in my life to design such a thing, unfortunately. Any help vastly appreciated!

I promise I'll gladly share the results of my efforts, in the vein of "free and open source" or "Creative Commons" licensing. 

Thank you,

Kelly

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS